The Juventus boss plans to keep using his Portuguese superstar as he seeks to make his side more clinical, but remains without a German midfielder
Massimiliano Allegri has no plans to rest Cristiano Ronaldo and has called for Juventus to be more clinical in attack.
Ronaldo has scored five goals in 11 appearances since joining from Real Madrid in a €112 million (£99m/$127m) deal and set up Paulo Dybala to score the winner against Manchester United in the Champions League on Tuesday.
That result means Juve have won 11 of their 12 matches in all competitions this season, with the sole blot on their record coming in their most recent Serie A game against Genoa, which finished 1-1.
Article continues below
Editors' Picks
Sarri vindicated for dropping Kepa as Chelsea & Pedro impress in Spurs win Magnificent Mane takes centre stage as league leaders Liverpool put on a five-star show Lukaku sends reminder that his Man Utd career is far from over Man City monitoring Barcelona & Chelsea target Jovic
However, Allegri is concerned enough about their inability to make the most of their chances that he plans to start 33-year-old Ronaldo against Empoli on Saturday, only four days on from their clash with United at Old Trafford.
“He’ll play,” Allegri told a news conference on Friday.
“Let’s take things one step at a time. I can’t know what’s going to happen in a month. We have two league games and then we have to make sure we get through against United [to the Champions League last 16].
“Our passes must be more precise in the final third because we don’t score enough goals for what we produce.”
Allegri also warned his players against the sort of complacency that allowed Genoa to snatch a second-half equaliser last week.
“Empoli play good football and control the ball well. They’ve never lost badly in any game so far,” he said. “It could be a tricky game for us if we don’t face it in the right way.
“You can’t always win in football. Genoa scored from a cross when we fell asleep. We had a good game for 55 minutes and we were punished with our first mistake.”
Allegri does plan to give either Joao Cancelo or Alex Sandro a rest on Saturday but will start Giorgio Chiellini if the veteran is fully fit, despite Daniele Rugani waiting to make only his second league appearance of the season.
“One of Cancelo and Alex Sandro could be rested,” he said. “Rugani has played little so far and I apologise to him for that, because he will be Juventus’ future. If Chiellini is in good condition, he will play.”
One player who definitely will not be available this weekend is Emre Can, with Allegri confirming that he will most likely need surgery on a thyroid problem.
The midfielder missed his side’s last two matches against Genoa and Manchester United, after a thyroid nodule was detected.
The former Liverpool man has been undergoing tests on the issue and Allegri expects an operation to be needed.
“He is finalising his medical tests,” Allegri told a news conference. “Doctors will decide whether he needs surgery but at this point it’s very likely.”
Can has made eight Serie A appearances since moving from Liverpool at the end of last season.